Yoga has taken the world by storm in recent years, with many touting its myriad benefits for both your mental and physical health.
Whether you’re a committed yogi or are brand new to the practice, these inspirational yoga quotes are sure to motivate you to go deeper into your practice.
The spiritual practice, which originated in India thousands of years ago, promotes mindfulness and a deep mind and body connection. Therefore, offering those who practice the chance to tap into their higher selves.
So, if you’re looking for some motivation for your next yoga session, read on. Today, we’re revealing our top ten inspirational yoga quotes to allow you to go deeper in your practice.
10. “Yoga begins with listening. When we listen, we are giving space to what is.” ‒ Richard Freeman
Kicking off our list of inspirational yoga quotes is this one from renowned yoga teacher Richard Freeman. Here, Freeman explains that the practice of yoga allows us a chance to really listen to our minds and bodies, offering us more clarity on our lives, thoughts, and physicality.
9. “In asana practice, we learn to cherish each breath, to cherish every cell in our bodies. The time we spend on the mat is love in action.” ‒ Rolf Gates
Many agree that the practice of yoga is an act of self-love. This is exactly what US yoga teacher and author Rolf Gates explains here. He explains how yoga gives us the opportunity to be thankful for our breath and bodies as they are.
8. “True yoga is not about the shape of your body, but the shape of your life.” ‒ Aadil Palkhivala, Fire of Love
He continues, “Yoga is not to be performed; yoga is to be lived. Yoga doesn’t care about what you have been; yoga cares about the person you are becoming.
“Yoga is designed for a vast and profound purpose, and for it to be truly called yoga, its essence must be embodied.”
7. “Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.” ‒ Jason Crandell
Throughout most of our lives, we are focused on the outside world. Whether it’s our friends, family, work, the news, or something else.
Thus, yoga instructor Jason Crandell explains how yoga gives us the perfect opportunity to look inside ourselves, focusing on our own needs, desires, and physical and mental health.
6. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” ‒ Gautama Buddha
Gautama Buddha was a fifth and sixth-century BCE ascetic and spiritual teacher based in India. The founder of Buddhism, Buddha is hugely revered to this day.
One of the main historical teachers of yoga, Buddha highlights the importance of remembering to seek peace from within.
5. “Change only happens in the present moment. The past is already done. The future is just energy and intention.” ‒Kino MacGregor
One of our favouring inspirational yoga quotes comes from American Ashtanga Yoga teacher and author Kino MacGregor.
We spend so much time worrying about the past, focusing on regrets, or looking to the future and making plans. However, yoga is about bringing out focus to the present moment.
4. “Yoga does not transform the way we see things; it transforms the person who sees.” ‒ B.K.S. Iyengar
Revered Indian yoga teacher and author B.K.S. Iyengar is one of the most renowned names in the craft. He highlights how the practice of yoga transforms who we are as people as we focus on growth, mindfulness, and letting things be. Thus, changing our outlook on the world around us.
3. “Yoga takes you into the present moment, the only place where life exists.” ‒ Patanjali
An Indian sage believed to have authored Sanskrit works, such as the Yoga Sutras, Patanjali is one of the most prominent names in global yoga practice.
As mentioned above, yoga forces us into the present moment rather than focusing on the present and the future.
This idea is perfectly conveyed in this quote from Patanjali, who highlights that the present moment is the only place where life truly exists.
2. “The nature of yoga is to shine the light of awareness into the darkest corners of the body.” ‒ Jason Crandell
Another inspiring quote from Jason Crandell focuses on how yoga encourages us to be aware of our own bodies in a way that we wouldn’t be during our busy day-to-day lives.
By slowing down and going deep into our practice, we are forced to acknowledge what our bodies (and minds) need.
1. “When breath control is correct, mind control is possible.” ‒ Pattabhi Jois
Topping our list of inspirational yoga quotes to inspire your practice is this short and sweet line from Indian yoga guru Pattabhi Jois.
Breathwork is an essential part of yoga practice, and Jois highlights how, in controlling the breath, we are able to control our own thoughts, beliefs, and perceptions.