Whether you woke up feeling in a low mood or you just want to start your day with a little boost of serotonin, we are here with the top ten amazing reasons to smile today.
Smiling is not only a universal sign of happiness. A simple smile has many benefits for our overall health, self-confidence, and social interaction.
Studies suggest that smiling actually boosts our immune system, brings a measurable reduction in stress levels, and eases physical pain. Through the release of neurotransmitters, smiles act as natural painkillers and mood boosters for both us and those around us.
So, if you want to start your day in a healthy and happy way, read on to discover ten amazing reasons to smile today. You’ll be skipping out the door with a grin on your face!
- Whether you woke up feeling in a low mood or you just want to start your day with a little boost of serotonin, we are here with the top ten amazing reasons to smile today.
- TMTGN’s top benefits of smiling:
- 10. Pandas are no longer an endangered species – a great piece of good news to start the day
- 9. The sunrise – a beautiful beginning to the day
- 8. It lowers your blood pressure – yes, really!
- 7. The people you’ve loved – they’re always with you
- 6. Smiling is contagious – go out and spread some joy
- 5. It’s good for your health – one of the most amazing reasons to smile today
- 4. Smiling makes you look younger and more attractive – saving you money on those anti-ageing creams
- 3. Breakthrough in malaria vaccine development – a potential gamechanger
- 2. It can boost your mood – trick your brain into happiness
- 1. You’re experiencing life – if that isn’t a reason to smile, then we don’t know what is
- Other notable mentions
- Your questions answered about this topic
TMTGN’s top benefits of smiling:
- A smile can boost your mood and have a ripple effect on those around you.
- Smiling can lower your blood pressure, contributing to your overall cardiovascular health.
- It releases dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins, fostering a sense of wellbeing and even reducing stress.
- In turn, smiling can help boost your immune system by reducing the production of stress-causing hormones.
- It can improve social interactions in your daily life.
10. Pandas are no longer an endangered species – a great piece of good news to start the day
One of the most amazing reasons to smile today is this fantastic piece of good news from the animal kingdom. Yes, pandas are no longer an endangered species!
Still classified as ‘vulnerable’, the giant panda population has increased by an incredible 17% in the past decade thanks to sustained conservation efforts across China.
9. The sunrise – a beautiful beginning to the day
As Victor Hugo wrote in Les Misérables, “Even the darkest of nights will end, and the sun will rise again”. No matter what you’re going through right now, just know that there’s a bright and shimmering light at the end of the tunnel.
Not only is the sunrise a beautiful part of nature and a wonderful thing to wake up to, but it is also a great metaphor for the glimmering light that lies at the end of every struggle.
8. It lowers your blood pressure – yes, really!
When you contract your smiling muscles, blood flow is increased to your brain. This improves your circulation and helps to reduce blood pressure.
Don’t believe us? Try it for yourself. If you have a blood pressure monitor at home, use it to take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take a second reading while still smiling to see the difference.
7. The people you’ve loved – they’re always with you
If you need a reason to smile today, just think of all the amazing people you’ve had a chance to love. Whether or not they’re still in your life, a part of them will always remain with you, and we think that’s something to be grateful for.
6. Smiling is contagious – go out and spread some joy
A simple smile is an incredible gift you can give to the world today. Smiling really is contagious. Have you ever noticed that when someone smiles, they completely light up the room and boost the overall mood?
Be that person! Lighten the day for your friends, family, colleagues, and strangers by sharing your beautiful smile.
5. It’s good for your health – one of the most amazing reasons to smile today
Need to get over the flu? Smiling could be a great remedy! Research has shown that by releasing endorphins, the act of smiling has many great benefits for our health, including reducing stress, boosting our immune system, and acting as a natural painkiller.
So, if you’re feeling under the weather, look for some joy that will bring a smile to your face. We bet you’ll be feeling much better in no time!
4. Smiling makes you look younger and more attractive – saving you money on those anti-ageing creams
Today, we all want to look our best. Why do you think cosmetics companies are making millions on anti-ageing and brightening creams that promise to make you glow and look ten years younger?
The muscles you use to smile actually lift your face, thus giving you a natural facelift and making you look brighter and more youthful.
3. Breakthrough in malaria vaccine development – a potential gamechanger
If you’re looking for one of the most amazing reasons to smile today, recent breakthroughs in malaria vaccine development will give you hope for the future.
The vaccine is currently undergoing human trials and has the potential to save hundreds of thousands of lives a year, many of them children.
2. It can boost your mood – trick your brain into happiness
We all know that you smile when something makes you happy, but did you know it also works the other way around? The simple act of smiling can actually trick your brain into happiness!
When we relax our facial muscles and smile, a signal is sent via neurotransmitters to our brain to release so-called ‘happy hormones’ such as dopamine and serotonin. This stimulates our reward system and makes us feel happier and more relaxed.
1. You’re experiencing life – if that isn’t a reason to smile, then we don’t know what is
Topping our list of amazing reasons to smile today is the fact that you’re here. You’re living, breathing, and experiencing all the colours, textures, and beauty of life. To us, that’s pretty cool.
Life can get pretty challenging at times, with outside factors often influencing our internal state. However, it’s important to remember that the tough times won’t last forever, and we’re so incredibly lucky to be experiencing life.
Just look outside to experience just how beautiful it is to be here!
Other notable mentions
Your favourite song exists: Music has a profound impact on our moods, and most of us have at least one favourite song. Put yours on and have a little dance. You’ll be smiling in no time.
CHECK OUT: 10 songs GUARANTEED to put you in a good MOOD.
A retirement home for bees: Yes, you read that right. There really is a retirement home for bees. UK-based company Flying Flowers came up with the idea for Honeysuckle Bee-tirement Home, a retirement home for tired bees.
Your questions answered about this topic
If you still have questions about reasons to smile, read on! In this section, we answer some of our readers’ most frequently asked questions in online searches about the topic.
What is the power of a smile?
Not only is a smile seen as a universal language of kindness, but the simple act of smiling can release endorphins such as dopamine and serotonin. In this way, it acts like a natural drug to boost our immune function, improve our mood, and relieve pain.
Why is a good smile important?
Negative facial expressions such as grimaces and scowls not only make us seem grumpy and unfriendly but tensing your facial muscles also puts pressure on important muscles and energy channels in your face and brain, which can impact your health and mood.
So, relax, give a smile, and reap the benefits of this simple act.
Why can a smile change your life?
A genuine smile can impact your health, mood, and relationships with those around you, including your friends, family, colleagues, and even strangers. Smiling really is a beautiful thing!